Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Return of the Teddy Bear Hat


Voila! It is done.

I switched patterns to this one, because I liked the earflaps a little better. But I still had to do the math to make sure I got a 21", adult-sized hat.

Nerd note: The "math" of which I speak is referred to as gauge in patterns. Gauge is just how many stitches you get per length. The first pattern I used said their gauge was 3.5 stitches per inch. The gauge I was knitting at was more like 4 st/in.

21" x 3.5 st/in = 74 st
21" x 4 st/in = 84 st

I should have done a swatch in the beginning, with the yarn and needles I wanted to use, and measured the gauge.  Then, I could have figured out how many stitches I needed for the size I wanted.  And then I adjust the pattern accordingly.
Without the ties.

But, live and learn.  Now I have a toddler-sized earflap hat done, so that's nice. A few ears and it's off to my niece.

Back to this hat: If you can get to my ravelry page you can see more details, but I basically improvised the ears. There's a little bit of stuffing in there to give them dimension. Hopefully they won't flap around too much. I added a single crochet edge to keep the curling down and give some more contrast.

And the ties are just simple braids, about a foot long.  You can see in the picture that without the ties, the flaps had more.... funkiness?  Which I kind of liked, but I also wanted the ties on there.  It still looks good and funky overall, but the flaps hang a little straighter.  I might make more earflap hats of this variety in the future without the ties.

It's a little snug on my head, but it should fit Fiona well. It was also quite warm for the weather here today, but again, should be good for Fiona's intended use.

Next on the needles is the Dead Fish Hat. Not sure who it's for yet, but I just felt it was time to get into this pattern.  So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment